OIL CAN
Libby Reuter and Joshua Rowan
May 2011
Lewis and Clark Departure Memorial, Hartford, Illinois
N38.80519 W090.11166

ABOUT THIS WATERSHED
When Lewis and Clark launched their Journey of Discovery near this spot in May 1804, canoes were for transportation, not recreation. River water provided their roads. Oil from plants and animals kept their guns from rusting. Could they have imagined the functions of the water-cooler bottle, glass ring-display hand, oil can, or radio tubes used in this sculpture? And what would they make of the partially submerged oil refinery pipeline just out of this picture’s frame?

ADDITIONAL IMAGES
[Gallery not found]