TECHNOLOGY WILL/WON’T SAVE US
November 2013
Libby Reuter and Joshua Rowan
October 2011
River des Peres Greenway, St. Louis, Missouri
N38.54433 W090.27048

ABOUT THIS WATERSHED
An outdated cathode-ray tube is inverted on the top of this found-glass-and-metal sculpture, placed in the concrete channel built in the early 1930 to contain the River des Peres–now just a trickle–and water flowing from a series of storm sewers. The name “des Peres” means the fathers and goes back to the 1700s when Jesuit priests lived near this river’s confluence with the Mississippi. The building seen in the distance at the right is the Metropolitan Sewer District’s new state-of-the-art waste treatment facility, also located near the place where the “River of Fathers” enters the larger river.

ADDITIONAL IMAGES

Leave a Reply